Sunday 12 February 2023

Sunday February 12 - Some welcome distractions

 It's not often that I try to catch moths in February, and never on a Saturday night before Morton Bagot birding. But last night was cloudy, mild, and windless, it was time to be bold. I put the trap out.

There were two consequences. Firstly I was a little bit late getting to Morton Bagot, and secondly I got a garden tick.

Morton Bagot was dull. The Green Sandpiper and 29 Teal were still present in the flash field, and we saw thirty or so thrushes, mostly Fieldfares, and 19 Meadow Pipits in the newly planted area of the Red-backed Shrike Field. Tony was ringing, but indicated he was having a pretty poor morning. A single Mute Swan flying around was the nearest thing to an unexpected visitor, and our mood was darkened by the discovery that the land-owner has drained the Kingfisher Pool (although it only seems to affect northern end of what we had previously assumed was a single pool). It was not a pretty sight.


So, on a brighter note lets consider last night's moths. I caught twelve moths of four species, including one that was new to me. When I think about it, moths are amazing. It's mild, but still too cold for butterflies and most other insects, but the moths don't care. 

The highlight was the presence of eight Pale Brindled Beauties. I generally catch one a year, simply because January and February are too cold to be bothered with insects, so the trap doesn't get much use. In one night I have more than doubled the total number of this species I have seen.

Pale Brindled Beauty

I also logged two Spring Ushers and a Chestnut, before spotting an interesting looking micro clinging to the side of an egg box in the trap. I was sure it would be something new, and indeed it proved to be Tortricodes alternella also known as Winter Shade.

Tortricodes alternella

I admit that its not much of a looker, and also that it is quite a common moth, but it pushes my garden list up by one so I'm not complaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment