Tuesday 14 March 2023

Tuesday March 14 - Mappleborough Green Flash

 There is a certain seasonality to most birders' efforts, and I'm no exception. In mid-March thoughts turn to migrant arrivals and wader habitat, so I decided it was time to revisit Mappleborough Green Flash.

The first thing I noticed is that the owner of the garden on the opposite side of the Boot Pub's carpark has sensibly added a fence-line and a post so that the route of the footpath is now perfectly clear.

I got through his garden without incident and walked across the field to the flash, still screened by trees. It looked promising. A large flock of Teal sat nervously at the edge of the flash, and I eventually counted 74, which is easily the most I have seen there.

Teal

Initially I couldn't see anything else, but the recent rain has extended the main flash beyond the north fence into the next field. Through the willows bordering the west side of the flash I could see first one, then two, and eventually four Little Ringed Plovers running around in the field. Spring has arrived.

Little Ringed Plover framed by the fence

A bit of zooming and cropping

I moved back to the footpath and had trouble crossing the brook because the former wooden bridge has decayed to nothing. I'm not too sorry about that as it will put the dog-walkers off. The mini-flash beyond held a Green Sandpiper which flew off before I noticed it, and a female Sparrowhawk which disturbed about twenty or thirty Fieldfares, Redwings, and Starlings.

It's great that the site gives me another string to my bow as far as the search for waders is concerned.

3 comments:

  1. That's a very prompt date for LRP 👍 None at Upton so far, at least not that I know of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe there was one at what remains of Salford Priors gravel pit at the weekend. So mine were not quite the first.

      Delete