Wednesday 29 March 2023

Tuesday March 28 - Cold and damp, but not (quite) miserable

 A visit to Earlswood coincided with a thoroughly wet morning. This wasn't entirely random. My original plan to go exploring was scuppered by the weather and I thought at the very least I should see some Sand Martins for the year-list. 

I did see Sand Martins, and eventually got my total up to 14 swirling above engine pool like a bunch of demented gnats. There was a short window of dry weather, during which I also noted two Shovelers, two Goosanders, five Snipe, a Sparrowhawk, and all the other regular Earlswood birds. Then it started to rain and I trudged back, noticing that the Black-headed Gull total increased to 56 due to the inclement weather.

In the afternoon the rain stopped, so I decided to try my luck at Mappleborough Green Flash. Sadly it was remarkably similar to my last visit and not remotely exciting. The only bird I tried to photograph during the day was a Chiffchaff which appeared unexpectedly below the kitchen window. Our small garden gets very few, so any that do arrive get plenty of my attention.

Chiffchaff refusing to turn around

This just left moths. I put the trap out and this morning discovered 10 moths of six species, none of them unusual. New for the year were Brindled Beauty, Double-striped Pug (two), Small Quaker (two), and Common Plume.

Brindled Beauty

This year I have the advantage of having the Obsidentify App on my phone, so intend to try to identify some of the bi-catch. These additional insects can rarely be identified to species level, but it's fun trying. 

First up was a dead gnat. My app told me it was Sylvicola ag, and despite measuring its wing etc I could get no further than Wood Gnat sp Sylvicola ag.

Wood Gnat sp

Also photographed was a spider hiding in the door-frame. Public enemy number one for my visiting moths. This turned out to be (possibly) Zygiella x-notata aka Silver-sided Spectre Spider.

Silver-sided Spectre ?

Annoyingly there is very similar species Zygiella atrica but they are less likely to be seen on the side of a house, and are usually browner. 

Spiders are a can of worms....and as for worms, forget it.

No comments:

Post a Comment