Tuesday 4 April 2023

Tuesday April 4 - Shelfield area

 I managed to snatch a couple of hours birding this morning in perfect sunny conditions.

About twenty years ago I got involved with a tetrad atlas organised by Jon Bowley as part of a Warwickshire Avifauna which he was intending to produce. On recently meeting him again I discovered that the project was reaching its conclusion, but that there were still a number of tetrads that had received little or no coverage, and would I like to help? I readily agreed and thus found myself exploring Tetrad K in SP16, which had virtually no records.

The area in question is from Shelfield northwards to beyond Stoopers Wood. It was a relief to be out in the field again, and nice to see that Chiffchaffs were everywhere, and also record both singing Blackcap, and Yellowhammer. This last species was a lot commoner around here when Jon first asked for Tetrad coverage.

Yellowhammer

I also helped myself to a couple of year-ticks today. A Brambling was calling from within Stoopers Wood (in an area that is out of bounds), and later in the morning I spotted a Peregrine on a Communications Mast just north of Redditch as Lyn and I drove once again to Heartlands Hospital where my poor Mum was still being cared for.

This evening she has been discharged and is en route to my sister's, but I'm afraid this is for palliative care. It's been a tough few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment