Friday 2 June 2023

Friday June 2 - Getting my mojo back

 Today was a better day. Fully engaged, finding stuff and then twitching a first for Haselor.

I had no real expectations of my return to Pink Green. I logged birds carefully and made my way to the ditch, almost dry, which marks the start of the river Alne. A Roe Deer with two fawns was nice to see, but by the time I left a field containing several cows and a bull my best bird had been a juvenile Coal Tit.

Fortunately after walking through Holt End and turning for home I paused at a nice little scrubby area at the edge of a small wood. After about five minutes a Spotted Flycatcher popped up onto a branch before retreating to the wood. The camera came out and eventually the flycatcher returned.

Spotted Flycatcher

It was really pleasant to watch this bird, formerly reasonably plentiful but no longer guaranteed locally. I had twitched one last year, but chose not to chase a couple at Earlswood this spring.

The icing on the cake was a text from John Coombes who had found a Greenshank at Haselor Scrape, a site first. I drove down to see it, although it turned out to have relocated to the more distant of the two scrapes. 

Greenshank

It was also nice to see John C again, although I wasn't able to stay for much of a chat.


No comments:

Post a Comment