Saturday 10 June 2023

Saturday evening June 10 - The Quail

 A call from Mike Lane had me dashing to the patch to record his latest find. A couple of years ago, almost to the day, Mike had been sitting in his photography hide when a Red-backed Shrike landed in front of him. This afternoon it was a Quail.

He didn't actually see it, but was kind enough to tip me off. I didn't see it either, but it was calling every now and then from the same field he had seen the Shrike. Perhaps I should invest in a hide!

I made several attempts to record the bird on my camera's video thingy, and ended up with several long periods of Skylarks, Song Thrushes, Lesser Whitethroats, Sedge Warblers etc. It was starting to sound like a Springwatch Mindfulness moment. Eventually I got this:


There are two brief bursts of Quail song, followed by a Quail-less mindfulness moment which ends when I realised I was likely to get soaked by an impending downpour.

No comments:

Post a Comment