Friday 1 December 2023

Friday December 1 - Wandering again

 Somewhat ironically, despite spending about six hours in the field this week my highlight came yesterday afternoon as I was about to start washing the dishes. I looked up to see a Woodcock perfectly silhouetted against the early evening sky as it flew past the kitchen window. Beat that.

Tuesday certainly didn't come close. In a dogged space-filling exercise I headed down to Holberrow Green to see what I could find. Birdtrack told me I had been there once before, in the 1990s, and apparently saw a Little Owl and a Fieldfare. I have no recollection whatever of this, but the former would have been very welcome this week.

As it was, I saw a fly-over Redpoll and a flock of 17 Meadow Pipits, before hearing Blackbirds mobbing something (probably a Tawny Owl) in a wooded ridge from where I took a scenic shot.

The view from near Morton Hall

Today I headed back down to the south of my Circle to resume my acquaintance with Kinwarton. There was square kilometre just south of the dovecote for which I had no records. It yielded a party of 26 Siskins and not much else.

More interesting was the small pool by the dovecote. Given that it was very cold following a sharp overnight frost, I had expected it to be ice-bound. But no, the trill of a Little Grebe alerted me to the fact it was actually ice-free. A small group of Mallard, and a few Moorhens were standard fare, although the sight of a group of Black-headed Gulls perched on some overhead wires was quite arresting. Eventually I also heard a calling Cetti's Warbler, but despite giving it twenty minutes with my feet slowly turning to ice, it barely showed. I had to settle for a brief flight view (naked eye) and a couple of song bursts. At least a couple of Wrens showed well.

Black-headed Gulls

Little Grebe

Wren

I walked northwards for a while, hoping to see a Little Owl which I had connected with last year. Unfortunately it was not showing and its beginning to look like I'm not going to see one this year.

Back near the Dovecote I counted seven Grey Herons and 10 Lapwings in a grassy field, presumably hunting for earthworms. One of the Herons was in a ditch at the back of the field, and clearly had its eye on something larger.

Grey Heron

Starving Lapwings

This cold snap might be promising for birders, but it could be disastrous for some of the birds I saw today if it carries on for another week.


No comments:

Post a Comment