Monday 18 December 2023

Monday December 18 - The arable edge

 My circular patch, centred on our home in east Redditch, contains a variety of different habitats. Woodlands, suburbia, and pasture are all well catered for. Wetlands are present but unspectacular. Least well represented is arable farmland. 

This wasn't always the case, but I guess there are economic pressures which have led to its local demise. Where it does exist, it's usually intensively managed and not as attractive to wildlife as it once was. Of all the farmland birds in the Circle, the most heavily reliant on arable farmland is the Yellowhammer, and I'm finding them increasingly hard to find.

The majority are at the south-east edge of the patch, places like Alcester Heath, Kinwarton, and Aston Cantlow. Alas, they've virtually gone from Morton Bagot where ten years ago they were plentiful. 

Today I set out to explore farmland to the east of Henley to see if I could find any there. The rain abated just as I parked the car in Buckley Green and trudged eastwards. I was pleased to find ploughed fields as soon as I reached the top of the escarpment which runs north/south to the east of the river Alne.

A nice flock of 70+ Redwings with a few Fieldfares, Chaffinches, and Starlings was a good sign. Then a little further on I came across two Red Kites near Ireland's Farm. This species is heading in completely the opposite direction to Yellowhammer, and it may end up rivalling Common Buzzard in local abundance in not too many years time. For now though, they are still scarce enough to be considered noteworthy.

Red Kites

Ireland's Farm proved to be a little gem. A couple of Kestrels came together in a tangle of wings and talons, before one flew off having made its point. 

Then I realised I could hear Yellowhammers. It turned out that the scruffy extended farmyard just north of the farm buildings was full of chirping passerines. Working out exactly how many proved difficult as I assumed I couldn't just wander in. However, I estimated 25 Chaffinches, a dozen or so House Sparrows, a few Redpolls, and seven Yellowhammers.

Yellowhammer

I ploughed on towards Bush Wood, passing another recently seeded crop field full of winter thrushes and this time several Meadow Pipits. Unfortunately a thick roadside hedge prevented me from making a proper count.

Looking west from Bush Wood

I have to admit there were parts of the walk which were pretty poor. I had hoped that Bush Wood would prove interesting, but as I was skirting the windy western edge I saw very little. The best on offer was a party of 11 Lesser Redpolls, and a separate group of 25 Siskins.

I'm plotting my next outing to the arable edge of the circle to see what I can find. Maybe the area west of Alcester will be worth a look.

You can't beat exploring in winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment