Saturday 23 March 2024

Saturday March 23 - Arrow Valley Lake saves the week

 I've not been able to get out much this week. A visit to Shortwood Roughs on Tuesday was quite pleasant until the local Clay Pigeon shoot opened up. 

Last night I got a text from Mark Islip telling me there was a Cattle Egret roosting with the Little Egrets at Arrow Valley Lake. I dashed there in fading light and counted 17 Egrets but couldn't pick out the Cattle Egret as most birds were asleep. I also noticed a lot of small bats flying over the water, which I would guess were Daubenton's Bats.

So this morning I was up with the lark, 05.15, (forgetting my mobile phone in my haste) and was relieved to see the same number of Egrets still present. It took a while to find the bird, but I eventually focussed on one bird which seemed to lack the long plumes shown by the obvious Little Egrets.

It remained back-on, and headless for about thirty minutes before I got a brief view of its head.  It had the saggy jowl look of a Cattle Egret, although the bill was disappointingly dull.

I went back home to get my phone and returned in better light, finding Mark watching it, and was able to get some better shots.

Cattle Egret

By now the light was good enough to enable me to see the faintly orange crown which is shown by birds in breeding plumage.

It started clambering about by about 07.30, and I suspect it may soon move off to feed elsewhere. 


Other birds were present around the lake, but with my time restricted I only noticed a Kingfisher, a Goosander, a few Redpolls, and singing Chiffchaff and Blackcap.

The Cattle Egret was the first I have seen within my Circle parameter. Many thanks to Mark for letting me know it was there.

No comments:

Post a Comment