Wednesday 13 March 2024

Wednesday March 13 - Mostly about moths

I haven't done much birding since the weekend. A stroll around Studley today produced fly-over Redpoll and Skylark and not a lot else.

However, last night was mild and dry so I put the trap out and duly caught 22 moths of seven species. This fairly modest haul included three that were new for the year; Double-striped Pug, two Oak Beauties, and a Diurnea fagella.

The latter was my first since 2020 and appears to have undergone a name-change since I last trapped one. The English name is no longer March Tubic, but is Early Reveller. I know this because I recently invested in the latest edition of Field Guide to the Micro-moths of Great Britain and Ireland, and it now gives both English and Latin names for all the species featured.

Early Reveller Diurnea fagella

Oak Beauty

I'm also keeping up my New Year's Resolution of trying to only show moths in a natural setting. It's probably a bit irritating for the moths, and some of them (like the Double-striped Pug) just fly off before I can get a shot.

Whether this continues to be possible in the warmer weather to come, we shall see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment