Friday 12 April 2024

Friday April 12 - Morton Bagot

 Not every visit to Morton Bagot is going to result in the discovery of something unusual, but at this time of year expectations are heightened, and even the ordinary can make you feel good.

This morning I was out a little earlier than usual. The weather has warmed up a little and I was feeling optimistic. A couple of Willow Warblers were my first here this year, but after an hour I hadn't found much else.

Willow Warbler (fortunately it was singing)

I'd been hoping for a Grasshopper Warbler, or at least a Sedge Warbler, but neither seems to have arrived yet. But all was not lost, the rattling song of a Lesser Whitethroat signalled the presence of my first of the spring, and it was quickly followed by the "chuurr" of a Common Whitethroat. At least I managed to see it, and later two more singing birds, but they were too flighty for me to get a shot.

Scanning the large field next to the scrape field eventually paid off as a male Wheatear and a pair of Stonechats were visible in the distance.

Wheatear

Two Egrets flew off as I approached the flash field, one was definitely a Little Egret and the other presumably also one (but you can't be sure nowadays). Two pairs of Avocets, two pairs of Shelduck, and five Teal were also present. The usual pair of Red Kites were being mobbed by a Raven. It's amazing how times have changed since I first started birding here just fifteen years ago. None of these birds would have seemed at all likely, although for balance, I would have seen more than the single Lapwing present today (and would certainly have seen a pair of Curlews, and plenty of Yellowhammers and Tree Sparrows). Three Sand Martins were flying around, and I heard a Yellow Wagtail call three times as it flew north.

As I turned to head back along Morton Brook I watched a dog-walker whistling at her free-roaming terrier as it dashed around, disturbing the breeding Skylarks in the field. Another change. 

At least I noticed the male Stonechat had ignored the disturbance, and this may mean that one in the ridge field later on was a new bird. It was also showing very well. One other noteworthy species was a singing Marsh Tit at Stapenhill Wood. It's good to be reminded of its simple song once in a while.

Stonechat

My earlier start meant that I was almost back at my car before the sun had started to properly warm the day, and as a result I only recorded one species of butterfly.

Speckled Wood

This Speckled Wood was my first this year. The plan is to add to it with a few garden moths, so I'll be putting the trap out tonight.

The result of that was 22 moths of nine species. None were particularly scarce, but White-shouldered House Moth, Oak-tree Pug, Muslin Moth, and Early Grey were new for the year. Here are the most photogenic:

Muslin Moth

Early Grey

Lunar Marbled Brown

The only surprise was that I attracted two Oak-tree Pugs. The date is a little early, but the oddest thing is that I have yet to catch its close relative, the Brindled Pug, this year. It's a bit like seeing House Martin before Swallow.

No comments:

Post a Comment