Thursday 4 April 2024

Thursday April 4 - Cattle Egret brightens up the week

 This morning, with limited time to spare, I decided to try visiting Mappleborough Green Flash. It had rained all night (again), and I was optimistic there might be some waders there. Choosing not to take the scope was almost a major blunder.

I arrived to find the main flash almost devoid of birds. I couldn't see any Little Ringed Plovers on the stony field (the scope might have helped as I've since heard there were three on Tuesday). There was a distant Little Egret well beyond the flash. I headed for the overspill flash. 

A Willow Warbler was singing, but after negotiating the flooded ditch which crosses the footpath, the water almost over the top of my wellies, I was faced with more disappointment. Just eight Teal and no waders.

Returning to the main flash I saw that there were now two egrets present. The new bird looked less dazzlingly white than the original. My heart started to thump a little quicker as I realised I also couldn't see any long plumes sprouting from its back. You cannot enter the field, so my only option was the camera. Through the zoomed in lens I could see it had a pale bill. I was sure this was the Cattle Egret I had twitched at Arrow Valley Lake a week and a half ago.

Cattle Egret (just about qualifies as a record shot)

Ironically this does not get on any of my lists. I don't have one for Mappleborough Green Flash (perhaps I need to think about that), its not a year tick, not a Warwickshire tick, and it probably doesn't qualify as a find as it was a re-find of the Arrow Valley Lake bird. 

A visit to Earlswood Lakes on Tuesday coincided with a bright sunny morning, which explains why I still haven't seen a Sand Martin yet this year. The nearest thing to a highlight was seeing and hearing the mixed-singer Willow Warbler at Engine Pool.

The Willow Warbler at Earlswood on Tuesday

The Cattle Egret is slowly getting closer to Morton Bagot. The farmer needs to put his cows to pasture.

No comments:

Post a Comment