I have to be honest, Morton Bagot has been very samey for a while now. The same heat, the same lack of rain, and the same birds. Today's effort produced a slight uptick with the presence of two Whinchats and four Stonechats, and three Red Kites which included two juveniles.
 |
| Whinchat |
We also saw a fair number of dragonflies and damselflies including a couple of Migrant Hawkers, a Brown Hawker, and a male Willow Emerald Damselfly. The latter was perched on a twig against the sun at the flash viewpoint.
 |
| Willow Emerald Damselfly |
The furthest flash contained four Green Sandpipers, while the nearest could muster only six Lapwings and five Teal.
 |
| Teal |
In the absence of much birding action I found myself increasingly drawn to the ground beneath our feet. Here I spotted what I believe to be several Robin's Pin-cushions, also known as the gall of a tiny wasp Diplolepsis rosae.
 |
| Robin's Pin-cushion |
On Friday night the garden trap went out for the GMS, and I caught 152 moths of 39 species. A third of them were Large Yellow Underwings, and in the absence of anything new for the garden the best of the rest were a couple of seconds: Small Ranunculus (last seen in 2019), and Golden-rod Pug (last in 2022).
 |
| Small Ranunculus |
 |
| Golden-rod Pug |
No comments:
Post a Comment