Wednesday, 26 August 2026

Wednesday August 26 - Earlswood Lakes

It's not often I head into the countryside and more or less ignore the birds, but yesterday I did just that. Following a recent conversation with John Oates when I let slip my new-found enthusiasm for pan-species listing, he kindly offered to show me as many of the trees around the lakes and in Clowes Wood as he could in a couple of hours. So yesterday morning I took him up on the offer.

In summary, I was shown 15 species of tree, seven species of fern, and three species of horsetail. Some were ones I had seen before but hadn't got around to ticking off, but many (mainly ferns) were entirely new.

Hybrid Black Poplar populus x canadensis

Greater Horsetail

Common Male-fern

I probably haven't picked a very good time to get into plants. Everything is drooping, brown, vegetated and hard (i.e. even harder than usual) to identify. John did a fine job of finding trees and so forth for me, but its one thing being shown things and quite another getting to know them. It's definitely a work in progress.

I have ordered a Fern field guide and new camera batteries (I managed to use up two batteries during the morning) so when I go on my own I'll be better prepared.

This morning I went back, but to look at birds. I only had time to check Windmill Pool, but it was nice to be back looking at familiar species.

Juvenile Little Ringed Plover

As you can tell from the above photo, it started to rain before I left.

I nearly forgot. In the Scrublands I photographed a lichen which I believe is called Oakmoss.



No comments:

Post a Comment