Tuesday 14 July 2020

Tuesday July 14

A cloudy but reasonably warm day with a very light north-westerly.

The main event took place almost as soon as I arrived at Netherstead. A Grasshopper Warbler was singing from the side of the track, and for the first time this year I actually saw it.

Grasshopper Warbler

It actually showed very well, and being an adult could not be the juvenile ringed on Sunday. It certainly wasn't ringed, so its not a bird caught here last year either.


I couldn't resist trying to film it, but there was an issue with grass stems messing up the focus. At least you can hear what it sounded like.

Cloudy conditions were actually quite handy for photographing butterflies as they were pretty docile. I noticed several Essex Skippers as well as the numerous Small Skippers. Here are a couple of shots as a comparison. Concentrate on how black the tips of the antennae are.

Essex Skipper

Small Skipper

Several personnel from HOEF were on site, including a volunteer who I thought was probably surveying dragonflies. Unfortunately he was very focussed on reaching the upper pool in the marsh and I gave up trying to catch up with him. Instead, I noted a Red Kite drifting past, but too distant for a photo, and heard a second singing Grasshopper Warbler.

The flash field contained pretty much the same species as on Sunday, except that I could add three Teal, and counted 28 Lapwings and only five Green Sandpipers. At least one of the latter was just about photographable.

Green Sandpiper

The walk back was fairly uneventful. I took a while scanning the brambles and nettles for insects, and have chosen this Azure Damselfly for the blog.

Azure Damselfly

Two Great Spotted Woodpeckers were clambering around the top of a telegraph pole, an adult and a juvenile. The adult had been ringed. 

Great Spotted Woodpeckers

Have I ever seen this species perching on wires? I couldn't remember, but whatever the situation, I have now.

Juvenile Great Spotted Woodpecker

There's always something to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment