Tuesday 21 July 2020

Tuesday July 21

I thought I'd check out Morgrove Coppice this morning. Its barely half a mile south of Morton Bagot. I've been there before, several years ago, initially sneaking in before eventually seeking permission from the gamekeeper. Access was denied. 

So this morning I jumped the fence and crept in, peaking nervously over my shoulder, until I reached a sign. It said "Accessible Path, HOEF." That's strange, I thought.

A little way along the path I met a very nice couple, Mike and Linda, who, it turned out, follow this blog. They explained that a couple of years ago Heart of England Forest had bought the wood and had built the path. I was given directions to the car-park.

I'm really warming to HOEF. They've done a fantastic job, and the woodland is just fabulous. I plan to come back with Lyn in the not too distant future.


My reason for visiting the plantation was an optimism that the Crossbills which had flown over our garden might have found it. Well I didn't see any, but I did hear a Siskin, a species strongly associated with the Crossbill influx. So that's encouraging.

I went on to Morton Bagot, parking by the church. A Swallow perching on wires was irresistible.

Swallow

My shortened circuit took in the flash field, which was pretty much unchanged since Sunday, although 31 Lapwings had returned. I counted just four Green Sandpipers, but so much of the site is obscured by grass and sedge, there may well have been more.

Green Sandpiper

The walk back to the car was to prove entertaining. A distant Red Kite was perhaps the bird I have seen a couple of times since lockdown was eased, and it was close enough for a photograph.

Red Kite

Then it came closer still.



On Sunday, Leigh had asked me whether I had seen a Peregrine here lately. I assured her I had not, which was true. So its somewhat ironic that a casual scan of the distant pylons from the footpath revealed a familiar blob.

Adult Peregrine

A very useful and enjoyable morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment