Wednesday 29 July 2020

Morgrove Coppice

This afternoon the temperature was not too cold and not too hot. Ideal for coaxing Lyn to give the accessible path at Morgrove Coppice a try.

Success. Lyn loved it. We made our way around the entire route, Lyn even spotting the star butterfly before I did. This was a Silver-washed Fritillery. By the time I had got my camera out etc etc, you know the drill, it had gone. Never mind, I assured her, we would see another one. We didn't.

There were still loads of Gatekeepers, and several Speckled Woods, Large Whites, and a Peacock to see. 

Predictably, most birds were keeping a low profile as it was a late July afternoon, but there were several Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, Whitethroats, and a couple of Marsh Tits on offer if you were quick enough.

A male Dark Bush Cricket stood impressively on the path in front of us.

Dark Bush-cricket

The flora was marvellous too. I really must get a smart phone, because after I get it I'll be able to download an App, and the App will be able to save me the bother of ploughing through three books and various wildflower sites before eventually googling tall pink flowers to identify Verbena bonariensis, a garden escape.

Argentinian Vervain

On seeing it Lyn had said "it looks just like the one's you see in Hillers". Hah, what does she know, I thought.

L K B. (Lyn knows best).

No comments:

Post a Comment