Thursday 8 August 2019

Thursday August 8

Warm and sunny. An afternoon visit because this morning I drove to Worcester and bought a new pair of Zeiss binoculars from The Birders Store. I had forgotten how nice it felt to look through a brand new, clean pair of quality bins.

So did they help me find anything? Well yes they did. I finally nailed a pair of Purple Hairstreaks in a hedge along the track where the ringers had been doing their stuff a couple of weeks ago.

Purple Hairstreaks (plus Common Wasp and Ladybird sp)
But did I manage to see any decent birds? Again yes, there are signs that autumn is approaching. The first of these was an extremely brief view of a Redstart as it made a fly-catching sally from a distant hedge. Just an orange tail, and that was that.

Some fantastic views of Lesser Whitethroats and Whitethroats on the way to the flash field, where the usual Green Sandpipers and Teal were joined by a juvenile Dunlin. The first of the autumn, and only the third this year.

Dunlin
I also had an opportunity to photograph the Kingfisher as it posed distantly on a sapling. Sadly I fluffed it, so a record shot was all I got. Hopefully I'll get another chance.

On the walk back I saw a Southern Hawker which refused to settle, and a moth and a Hare which were more co-operative.

Agriphila tristella

Brown Hare

No comments:

Post a Comment