Friday 30 August 2019

Friday August 30

Its a good time of the year for birding, but to see something unusual it helps if the weather is right. A fresh south-westerly and sunny intervals doesn't cut the mustard. I gave it a go though and did at least manage to photograph a Migrant Hawker in the lee of a hedge.

Migrant Hawker
Birds were proving hard to find, and by the time I reached the flash field I had only recorded half a dozen Chiffchaffs, a Whitethroat, and a Blackcap.

The flash pools did contain a good number of birds, but not much quality; 64 Mallard, 32 Teal, two Tufted Ducks, 25 Lapwings, and 15 Snipe plus a couple of Green Sandpipers. At least the first Wigeon of the autumn put in an appearance.

Wigeon
The return journey was also quiet, but did liven up just as I reached the car-park at Netherstead when a Peregrine, the first for months, charged off into the distance. I also had a good view of an adult Common Toad crawling through the long grass.


I am hoping for some overhead bird migration next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment