Sunday 1 September 2019

Sunday September 1

Sunny with a very light westerly breeze. I was up early because I thought the ringers would be there again. Ironically, when I arrived I couldn't see their cars so spent an hour searching the hedgerows around Netherstead for migrants, seeing two Blackcaps, two Whitethroats, two Lesser Whitethroats and several Chiffchaffs before I discovered they actually were here (but further up the track than the usual place).

It transpired they had caught about 70 birds, but they all sounded like common ones so I took Tony (the leader of the group) to a place which I thought might prove more productive in a future visit.

He went back to the nets while I continued along the hedge bordering the former pool, and promptly bumped into a large flock of finches feeding on grain bordering a recently created stubble field. There were about 100 Goldfinches, ten Greenfinches, two Yellowhammers, a dozen Reed Buntings and a few Linnets. But then I did a double-take as a bunting perched up next to a Greenfinch. Surely it was a Corn Bunting. It disappeared into the crop while I pondered whether I could believe my eyes.

After ten minutes of no further signs I decided to edge forward. This had the desired effect as it flew out and I was able to confirm that the outer-tail feathers were brown. It landed on the top of the standing crops further up the field and I got a couple of record shots.

Corn Bunting
Corn Bunting (blurred but zoomed in)
I think this is the fifth record for the site (I've seen four), and the second for this time of the year.

Shortly afterwards I located a single Whinchat in the hedge. Other species worth a comment were a single Grey Wagtail heard at Netherstead, and the first Meadow Pipit of the autumn heard calling high over the chat field.

Whinchat
I moved on to the flash field, but only counted 28 Lapwings, four Snipe, a Green Sandpiper, 34 Teal, a Wigeon, 65 Mallard, 195 Greylag Geese, and a Kingfisher.

On the return journey I had a brief view of a juvenile Peregrine.

A pretty good visit.

PS Tony K has kindly sent me the final ringing figures: A total of 103 birds ringed, only nine of which were re-traps.
49 Blue Tits
13 Great Tits
4 Long-tailed Tits
1 Reed Warbler
1 Whitethroat
14 Blackcaps
4 Chiffchaffs
4 Wrens
1 Blackbird
4 Robins
2 Dunnocks
4 Goldfinches

The modus operandi used is to bait the traps with adjacent seed holders, while the habitat is basically hedgerow and copse. So it is not surprising that they catch a lot of Blue Tits. On the other hand it shows up how much I must underestimate the number of birds I see. I have never counted as many as 49 Blue Tits during a morning at Morton Bagot, and the ringers are just trapping in one small place.

The other impressive one is the Blackcap count. I have noticed similar disparities between Blackcaps seen and Blackcaps trapped at other sites. Clearly these skulking migrants are much commoner than casual observation might suggest.

Its all very interesting.


No comments:

Post a Comment