Thursday 5 September 2019

Thursday September 5

A lovely sunny morning with a very light north-westerly and a good feel about it. I decided to park at the church for a change, and thought I had found a decent bird straight away as I spotted what I thought would prove to be a Wheatear on a barn roof. I took a hardly zoomed in shot in case it flew off, which is precisely what it did as I zoomed in.

Unidentified chat
I headed to the area where I thought the bird had gone, but could find only a Robin. At this point my focus shifted as Swallows called in alarm and I looked up to see a Hobby whizzing among them.

Hobby
My search for the chat sp failed to reveal anything and I was left to conclude that it may have been the Robin. Solace was provided by a Peregrine which powered across the road.

The rest of the visit turned up a nice selection of warblers, including 14 Chiffchaffs and four Blackcaps. A trickle of Meadow Pipits overhead was appropriate for the season, but the flash field turned up just the usual stuff; 32 Teal, 77 Mallard, 42 Lapwings, four Snipe, two Green Sandpipers, six Black-headed Gulls, and a Wigeon.

At Stapenhill Wood I spent a pleasant half-hour getting great views of Chiffchaffs, Blackcaps, and tits before heading for home.

Chiffchaff
Long-tailed Tit

No comments:

Post a Comment