Sunday 8 September 2019

Sunday September 8

I wasn't able to visit the patch today, but Tony and the ringers did, and had another successful session.
They caught 137 birds of 12 species of which 16 were retraps. To me this is amazing because it shows the movement through the area of even common residents like Blue Tit. By this I mean that I might have been tempted to assume that the 60 + Blue Tits in the hedgerows today were the same as the Blue Tits they caught last week, but actually only nine of them were.

The full figures were (with retraps in brackets and the unbracketed figure being the total catch):

Sparrowhawk 1
Blue Tit 68 (9)
Great Tit 17 (4)
Chiffchaff 5
Blackcap 11
Whitethroat 2
Wren 5 (1)
Robin 3 (2)
Dunnock 1
Meadow Pipit 2
Greenfinch 8
Goldfinch 16

They also recorded a Barn Owl shortly after dawn.

I definitely should have got there earlier the day before.

No comments:

Post a Comment