Sunday 26 April 2020

Lockdown benefits

I know its horrible and all that, but at least lockdown forces you to try things you vaguely intended when you could go anywhere, but didn't.

During our more reflective moments at Morton Bagot, Dave and I used to rue the lack of deep water (obviously) and of hill tops over which migrants might fly. In the distance, towards the north-west, I could see a hill with a trig point on it. We must go there one day, we said.

The hill in question is roughly half way between Morton Bagot and my house, and the Ordnance Survey map suggested it might be called Skilts Common.

So this morning I set out on a mission to find the soon to be famous migration hotspot. Actually I had barely left the bottom of our road before a burbling warble stopped me in my tracks. One cake too many? No it was a Garden Warbler. This would be borderline mega at Morton Bagot (not annual there), so I was determined to see it. The hedge running up to the poplar plantation was full of singing Blackcaps, and at least one Lesser Whitethroat, and eventually I saw all of these including the Garden Warbler. Too challenging for the camera though.

I dragged myself away and continued past Badger's Nursery to the churchyard, from where I headed up the hill towards Skilts Common. Here I found a singing Whitethroat and it was more co-operative.

Whitethroat
The top of the hill revealed farm buildings and horse paddocks, but no Wheatears. A Blackcap was delivering a highly mimetic song, causing me to spend a considerable time trying to see it. It was indeed just a Blackcap.

Turning south I reached the trig point field, from where the views were excellent.



Then I found what I suspect was the old Skilts Common, an area of common land which was dripping with Whitethroats.



I can't believe I've lived in Redditch for fifteen years without any inkling that this place existed. Of course I'll probably find nothing noteworthy here, but there's got to be a chance.

Dropping down the hill a little way I found some more significant habitat, a small pool.


A scan revealed a few geese and two lockdown ticks; Little Grebes and Coots. Not too earth-shattering I know, but who knows what else might drop in here.

Little Grebes
There is a reason that this photograph presents such a distant image.

That's a shame
On the other hand, a short way further on was a swing gate indicating that the footpath led into the field, alright just the edge of the field, but its a start.


The one boring part of the walk was the last bit, which followed the main road back to Mappleborough Green. At least it gave me a second look at the pair of Red-legged Partridges.


Red-legged Partridges
The lockdown list advanced as follows:

62. Garden Warbler
63. Little Grebe
64. Coot

But still no Wheatears.

No comments:

Post a Comment