Friday 24 April 2020

Lockdown update - April 24

I've stuck to the garden since my last posting, and its been pretty tough going.

Today's big sit produced only 28 bird species, none of them unexpected. The highlight was a brief visit to our apple tree by a Chiffchaff, while some of the regulars are getting pretty relaxed about Lyn and I sitting in the garden all afternoon.

Woodpigeon bathing
Yesterday a party of 14 House Martins hawked insects high overhead. I did also manage to add a species to the garden lockdown list. Late yesterday evening I was loitering outside dreaming of Whimbrels and Common Scoters flying over, when I heard a Moorhen doing just that.

So that's Garden Lockdown List:

April 23

56. Moorhen

As for other creatures, the majority of butterflies seen have declined to land, but one that did settle was a Small White. Not a lockdown tick though.

Small White
The moth trap goes out tonight, but in the meantime I caught a couple of new common ones on the kitchen window.

April 22

17. Brimstone Moth

April 23

18. Light Brown Apple Moth

I should be catching plenty of these through the Spring and Summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment