Monday 27 April 2020

Some more cracking moths

It was cloudy overnight so the moth trap seemed like a good idea.

I woke up to something of a Pug-fest, counting 11 Brindled Pugs and 5 Oak Tree Pugs in and around the trap. The main prize was resting on the fence. An absolutely stunning Alder Kitten, the first I have ever seen.

Alder Kitten
Meanwhile a very dark moth in the trap was clearly worth further investigation. It turned out to be an Iron Prominent. I didn't catch one last year, but it did feature in 2018.

Iron Prominent
The remaining moths included two more that were new for the year; Muslin Moth, and Pale Mottled Willow, and three Light Brown Apple Moths which haven't featured photographically yet this year, until now.

Muslin Moth
Pale Mottled Willow
Light Brown Apple Moth
Also present were a Brindled Beauty, a Powdered Quaker, a Swallow Prominent, and two Shuttle-shaped Darts.

Inevitably there was some by-catch, and as well as the usual caddis-flies etc I caught a single bee. I am currently identifying it as a worn Red Mason Bee, but have hung it out on Twitter in case I am wrong. I find that bees are a nightmare to identify, even at point blank range and half asleep.

Red Mason Bee
Red Mason Bee
I also caught four or five bugs, which my research suggests are the very common Harpocera thoracica.

Harpocera thoracica
Moth lockdown list:

28. Alder Kitten
29. Iron Prominent
30. Pale Mottled Willow
31. Muslin Moth


No comments:

Post a Comment