Tuesday 12 May 2020

Countdown to patch return

Since the government clarified its lockdown rules in March, I have denied myself the opportunity to visit Morton Bagot. I took the view that although the Heart of England Forest (who own most of the land) have made it clear it remains open to visitors, I could only visit on foot or by bike. I do not own a bike, and walking there and back could take over two hours on top of the time spent there.

It's been very frustrating. April is arguably the best month at Morton Bagot, and well photographed Grasshopper Warblers at nearby Morgrove Coppice hinted at the likelihood that I have been missing some cracking birds.

But now Boris has relaxed the guidelines, and from tomorrow I am free to make the ten minute drive to my patch. I will be amazed if he doesn't have to apply the brakes in a couple of weeks, but until then I feel empowered to visit.

In the meantime, here is a tiny moth which lives on ferns outside our front door.

Psychoides filicivora
The spring feels damaged beyond repair, but you never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment