Wednesday 13 May 2020

Wednesday May 13 - back on the patch

My first visit since late March took place on a rather cold, mostly cloudy morning. The light northerly breeze suppressed insect activity, so it was down to the birds to step up to the plate.

They didn't.

The whole visit felt a bit strange to be honest. The stables where I park were strangely deserted, and I later discovered that they had gone out of business. This information was gleaned from the land-owner, Paul, who went on to say he would be building a house on the plot shortly. I may need to find somewhere else to park.

With such a hiatus since my last visit, it was inevitable that I would see (mostly just hear) a number of birds that would be new for my year here. Reed Warblers (two singing), Sedge Warblers (three calling), Whitethroats (seven singing), Lesser Whitethroat (one singing), Willow Warbler (one singing), and three Swifts duly made it onto the list.

Strangely, I didn't see any hirundines, making this the first year I have seen Swift here before Swallow or House Martin. Too cold perhaps.

My big hope was that the flash field would save the day. Sadly the scene simply reinforced my impression that spring had come and gone in my absence. The pair of Shelducks was still present, and a pair of Teal was the nearest I came to seeing anything unusual. At least three pairs of Greylag Geese have goslings, while a single Canada Goose was on a nest at the dragonfly pools. Only two pairs of Lapwings were present. The Little Owl disappeared into the foliage of its nesting tree as soon as I appeared.

The local mammals were doing their best. Brown Hares were everywhere, and I saw three Roe Deers including a strangely lethargic buck which allowed me to photograph it before wandering casually off.

Roe Deer
The temperature barely made it into double figures, but I still managed to find my first damselflies of the season. The Beautiful Demoiselles along the Morton Brook can be relied upon to show well.

Beautiful Demoiselle - female

Beautiful Demoiselle - male


As for butterflies, I saw just two Small Heaths.

Small Heath
I'm sure better days lie ahead.


No comments:

Post a Comment