Friday 15 May 2020

Lockdown List garden ticks

We may be free to jump in our cars and head for our patches, but the garden can still spring surprises.

Last night was a case in point. The overnight temperature has been chilly all week, and I have not been tempted to put the moth trap out. But Friday night is GMS night (Garden Moth Scheme), so I was obliged to. The forecast suggested cloud so I was mildly optimistic.

Having put it on, I couldn't resist periodically stick my head out of the back door to take a look. The sky was cloudless, and my optimism waned. A Light Brown Apple Moth was the only moth I could see. As Graham Norton appeared on the TV we decided it was time to turn in. One last look through the window. A moth shot past, then it or another seemed to pitch down onto the trap. Out I went, peering at a dark shape. Something. Then I was brought up short by a faint call, a sort of strangled purr. Surely not? I thought I knew what it was and I stood on the doorstep for ages (about 30 seconds!) hoping it would call again. It did, this time closer; a Barn Owl. I was sure of it, but not so certain that I didn't head straight for the computer and play the call. It was exactly right. This was not only a lockdown garden tick, but also a full all time garden tick. That list, recently revived thanks to lockdown, now stands at 81.

This morning I was up early to see what moths I'd caught. The LBAM was in the trap, but nothing else. That's strange. Also nothing on the walls or the fence. Finally I spotted it, resting on the wires leading to the trap, a rather worn Swallow Prominent. Not new for the year but at least it was something.

Swallow Prominent

But that was not all. A singing Goldcrest reminded me that my lockdown garden list needed updating.

May 15

60. Barn Owl

May 16

61. Goldcrest

As for the muddle of lockdown lists, I think its time to bring Boris Johnson type clarity to the whole situation.

No bird seen at Morton Bagot will count towards my lockdown list, but I will still add to it if I see one from the garden, or walking from the garden. So the Barn Owl counts as both a garden lockdown tick and as a lockdown tick:

Lockdown list

May 15

72. Barn Owl

But the Goldcrest only counts on the garden lockdown list because I have already recorded one during lockdown, on foot from the house.

The moth lockdown list remains abandoned.

Crystal clear I hope. I may produce a graph to emphasise the points made.

No comments:

Post a Comment