Tuesday 9 June 2020

Garden moths - 9/6/20

With temperature restored to a more typical 10 degrees overnight the trap was reasonably busy this morning. 41 moths of 15 species recorded.

There was nothing new for the garden but several new for the year. Pride of place goes to a micro because a) its pretty, and b) I didn't catch one last year. An Aleimma loeflingiana was resting on the perspex cover of the trap, before allowing a photo in the lid of my smallest pot.

Aleimma loeflingiana
One or two of the micros had me scratching my head this morning. One that is awaiting verification is a Phycita roberella. Like all pyrallids this species can vary a bit in appearance, but I'm reasonably sure its right. Confirmed later by UKMothID.

Phycita roborella
Assuming the other tricky micro will turn out to be just a worn Codling Moth, I will turn to the new macros for the year. The first is Small Dusty Wave, and the second is Uncertain, of which I caught two.

Small Dusty Wave
Uncertain
The full list was as follows:

Brown House Moth 1
Bryotropha affinis 1
Cnephasia ag 1
Aleimma loeflingiana 1 (nfy)
Light Brown Apple Moth 1
Codling Moth 3
Phycita roberella 1 (nfy)
Figure of Eighty 1
Small Dusty Wave 1 (nfy)
Common Marbled Carpet 1
Peppered Moth 2
Buff-tip 1
Uncertain 2 (nfy)
Pale Mottled Willow 1
Heart and Dart 23

During the afternoon I was forced encouraged into the front garden by Lyn to do some weeding. She kindly joined me to make sure I didn't become distracted help. After 45 minutes of watching me chopping saplings and throwing snails she bowed to the inevitable.

A Mint Moth, Pyrausta aurata was putting in its annual appearance on our Cat-mint.

Pyrausta aurata
Actually I did glimpse one a few weeks ago in the back garden, but today's insect was more obliging.

No comments:

Post a Comment