Wednesday 3 June 2020

Wednesday June 3

We woke up to grey skies and light drizzle this morning, the latter continuing for most of the morning discouraging me from getting my camera out.

That's not to say it was a dull visit to the patch. Insects were out of the question, so it would be birds or nothing. The Grasshopper Warbler sang briefly, and the bird of the day, a Red Kite, appeared briefly over a distant wood.

I ambled towards the flash field where the pair of Shelducks has reappeared. This probably indicates a failed breeding attempt. I had a brief view of a Little Ringed Plover and a Little Owl was perched in the usual tree.

Due to Covid19 I have not attempted a breeding survey this year, but as a snapshot of what might be here I counted the following singing warblers this morning: three Sedge Warblers, two Reed Warblers, six Chiffchaffs, one Willow Warbler, seven Blackcaps, two Lesser Whitethroats, and ten Common Whitethroats.

Another encouraging sign was a party of 19 Swifts and six House Martins which appeared over the ridge field. Last year was very poor for Swifts here, but the year before that saw record numbers. Perhaps numbers will build up through June again.

The one moment when I did wish I hadn't slipped my camera into my bag came towards the end of the visit when I noticed some agitated Lesser Whitethroats mobbing something. It turned out to be a Fox which stared levelly at me while I tried to access my camera surreptitiously. Needless to say it slipped away just as I was switching the camera on.


No comments:

Post a Comment