Saturday 27 June 2020

Wet garden moths

I was aware that rain was expected at around dawn this morning but as it was GMS evening I felt I should trap anyway. My plan was to leave the trap on its little trolley, just in case.

At 04.00 I was awakened by the sound of a monsoon-like rain pelting down. I got up and dressed as quickly as possible and dashed down to rescue the trap by pulling it into the utility room. It was still dark, although I noticed a Blackbird was singing.

Unsure of what to do next I decided to put the light off and head back upstairs for a shower. On my return I discovered that many moths had left the trap and were now plastering the walls and windows.  I plugged the trap in and turned it on. The bright light had moths flying in all directions, but mostly back to the trap. It also attracted moths to the outside of the door, so I was able to grab them.

As it got properly light I searched for moths, finding some behind framed pictures, ending up with a count of 93 of 39 species (very similar to Wednesday night.) It would not surprise me at all if a few more appear from cracks and crannies tonight.

The highlights were three garden ticks, a macro and two micros. The macro was a moth I am familiar with at Morton Bagot, and I have tended to regard it as a day-flier. This was Latticed Heath. The books do say that they also fly at night and can be attracted by MV, and it would seem also by an Actinic bulb.

Latticed Heath
The two micros had very different routes onto the garden list. The first I recognised immediately from  a recollection of the field guide illustration. It was a male Large Fruit-tree Tortrix, a very distinctive moth.

Large Fruit-tree Tortrix
The second went through two or three incorrect identifications before UKmothID told me what it actually was. My first thought was a Cnephasia ag, but after photographing it I realised it was a different kind of Tortrix. It seemed similar to a Celypha lacunana, but after ruling that out I switched allegiances to Zeiraphera isertana, a species I had trapped in 2018. It didn't look quite right but like all tortrids they can vary in appearance. I sent the tweet. Luckily the expert had my back and told me it was actually Cydia fagiglandana, a moth I had never heard of, let alone seen.

Cydia fagiglandana
It most resembles Cydia splendana, and both can vary their appearance. The caterpillars feed on beech, a tree which isn't common around here (although I can think of a nearby Copper Beech or two.)

I did better with the year-ticks, and these included a micro, Pammene fasciana, which I didn't see last year. My other year tick was the micro Acleris forsskaleana.

Pammene fasciana
Acleris forsskaleana
Also marauding around the bottom of the trap was a large black beetle. I didn't identify, and was revolted to see that its head was swarming with orange mites. It was about to tuck into a deceased Mayfly, and I was worried it would start attacking moths so I caught it and slung it out.

The full list was:

Bird-cherry Ermine 4, White-shouldered House Moth 1, Brown House-moth 2, Crassa unitella 1, Ruddy Streak 1, Acleris forsskaleana 1 (nfy), Large Fruit-tree Tortrix 1 (nfg), Lozotaenia forsterana 1, Light Brown Apple Moth 1, Marbled Orchard Tortrix 1, Celypha striana 1, Zeiraphera isertana 1 (nfy), Bramble-shoot Moth 1, Cydia fagiglandana 1 (nfg), Codling Moth 6, Pammene fasciana 1 (nfy), Phycita roborella 1, Acrobasis repandana 1, Eudonia lacustrata 6, Eudonia mercurella 1, Garden Grass-veneer 8, Crambus pascuella 6, Small Magpie 1, Riband Wave 5, Green Pug 1, Latticed Heath 1 (nfg), Peppered Moth, Scarlet Tiger 2, Common Footman 3, Scarce Footman 1, Coronet 4, Uncertain 6, Dark Arches 1, Marbled Minor ag 1, Heart and Dart 5, Heart and Club 1, Flame 1, Large Yellow Underwing 4, Double Square-spot 1.

PS: As predicted at least one micro has appeared at the windows, trying to get out. It is ridiculously dark and I struggled to make out any part. Nevertheless I think it is a Cydia splendana....which is a pity because it is actually Zeiraphera isertana.

Zeiraphera isertana
Now that's what I call irony.

And another one comes out of the woodwork. Its just a Double Square-spot but unusually is showing its grey underwing which is the best diagnostic feature confirming it isn't the much rarer Triple-spotted Clay.

Double Square-spot


No comments:

Post a Comment