Saturday 29 January 2022

Saturday January 29 - A quick twitch

 This morning I had no further ambition than completing the RSPB's Big Garden Birdwatch. I put Lyn in charge of watching the front feeder (whilst simultaneously playing Scrabble against the computer), while I watched the back garden.

Eight species, none of them unusual or in good numbers, in case you're interested.

A phone call from John Coombes reminded me of the Pintail at Kinwarton. It's one of those birds I think I should see anyway in the Circle during the year, but would have to admit I might not. John had seen it this morning, and described exactly where it was. He said it was on a garden pond between Glebe Farm and Hoo Mill.

It was indeed easy to find, although I would describe the site as a man-made pool in a field. The drake Pintail was vaguely keeping company with a flock of Mallard of doubtful provenance, but it was definitely discomforted by my arrival and kept swimming behind a small island and keeping as much distance as it could. I think it was genuinely wild despite the setting.

Pintail

So that's #LocalBigYear bird number 81 on the list.

It was a bit of a tick and run effort, but I did notice a flock of 40 Linnets in a nearby field, two Grey Herons, and a Cormorant.


No comments:

Post a Comment