Tuesday 18 January 2022

Tuesday January 18 - Ullenhall

 This morning's effort, another pin in the map job, was a bit half-hearted. It remains frosty, but the sun was out initially before cloud appeared later in the morning. I visited the village of Ullenhall.

My main goal was to locate a small sewage works and fishing pool on the south side of the village, and in this at least I was successful. A very small marsh looked enticing so I had a quick kick around, flushing four Common Snipe in the process.

The marsh

The pool was predictably frozen solid, and the sewage works failed to produce anything interesting. Some alders beside the pool did host 10 Siskins and two Lesser Redpolls, while on the grassy fringe stood a partially leucistic Blackbird.

Siskins

Black(and white)bird

I returned to the church where I had parked and surveyed the field opposite. It now contained thirty or forty Redwings and a Green Woodpecker.

Green Woodpecker

That was about as good as it got. I must try harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment