Sunday 23 January 2022

Sunday January 23 - a dull day at Morton Bagot

Today was pretty gloomy, and yes I'm talking about the weather. Grey, no breeze, little hope. Dave turned up to add moral support.

And I duly added the 80th species to my #LocalBigYear list, when we noticed that the pylon had attracted an adult Peregrine.

Peregrine

We confirmed the continuing presence of a Stonechat before discovering that the flash field was ice-free. Counts of 27 Lapwing and 16 Teal were less than impressive though. A Cormorant arrived, and a Grey Heron put in a brief appearance.

The rest of the site wasn't quite dead, but it was pretty dire. About eight Siskins and four Lesser Redpolls fed in the alders along the brook, and a flock of 24 Goldfinches was worth recording (although I saw 34 from our kitchen window yesterday which rather puts it into perspective).

I'm afraid Morton Bagot is not what it was in winter. Fortunately, Spring is just six weeks away.

No comments:

Post a Comment