Sunday 17 April 2022

Easter Sunday April 17 - Mappleborough Green

Well here's a change. Having been invited to lunch by my sister I had postponed my usual Morton Bagot visit, choosing instead the less time-consuming Mappleborough Green.

A sunny morning with several butterflies on the wing, it felt good to be out, and even better when I heard the jaunty rattle made by my first Lesser Whitethroat of the year. What's more, I could see it flicking about on the same hedge that had supported the Redstart last week.

Lesser Whitethroat

I managed a record shot, but it soon disappeared when I tried a closer approach.

On reaching the flash I established that the Avocet and Green Sandpipers had gone, but a couple of pairs of Little Ringed Plovers, three Jays, and various species of warbler were entertaining enough.

Chiffchaff

Speckled Wood - my first of the spring

I plan to be back at Morton Bagot tomorrow, and have been informed that a Lesser Whitethroat was there yesterday, and the usual Avocets, Shelducks etc plus a late Stonechat were present earlier in the week.


No comments:

Post a Comment