Friday 15 April 2022

Friday April 15 - The north-west passage

Keen to extend my recent run of year-ticks I decided to head to the north-west end of my Circle, starting with Cobley Hill and moving on to Tardebigge Reservoir.

It seemed like a viable plan, being the peak passage time for Ring Ouzel, Osprey, and Yellow Wagtail, all of which I still "need". Inevitably none of the above was seen, but Cobley Hill at least provided a little bit of migrant activity when I spotted a Wheatear almost immediately.

Wheatear

This gave me the boost I needed to scan all the likely looking fields for other upland passerines. None were seen, but there were a few compensations. A singing Whitethroat took off before I could pin-point it, but four Swallows back on territory around Cobley Hill Farm were far more obliging.

Swallow

A singing Blackcap was also perching prominently.

Blackcap

Sadly it was quite literally downhill after that. The odd Willow Warbler sang, and also at least ten Linnets, but these were all kind of expected.

As for Tardebigge Reservoir, I'm going right off it. Lots of holidaymakers along the canal, and fishermen at the reservoir, but few birds to get the juices flowing.

1 comment:

  1. lesser whitethroat at Morton Baggot today between Chat Field and Pool field - making its way along hedgerow

    ReplyDelete