Sunday 3 April 2022

Sunday April 3 - New Morton Bagot?

 The day began cold and grey. Dave and I set off on our usual circuit, quickly noticing that it was rather quiet, a fly-over Redpoll being the highlight of the first hour. I attempted the odd photo in poor light, but I shouldn't have bothered.

Chiffchaff

We reached the flash field to find things much as we'd left them a week ago. The four Avocets were now arguing over the nearest flash, six Shovelers, three Shelducks, at least 10 Teal, a Snipe and so on.

A neighbourly dispute

We'd been stood in the same spot for about thirty minutes when we had a bit of luck. A rather distant squeal had us looking at one another and saying Water Rail? It wasn't going to give us a second chance, and as we were both of the same opinion we duly logged the fifth Water Rail (and Dave's first) for the site.

The walk back was brightened by the sight of a Little Egret standing in the field beyond the Kingfisher Pool (much closer than the ones last week).

Little Egret

That would have been that, but I had something I wanted to follow up. Gary Jilks had tweeted me with news of some Little Ringed Plovers, and a Green Sandpiper on a flash near the Boot Inn at Mappleborough Green. I wasn't exactly sure where he meant, but decided to have a look.

I eventually found it, and it does look very interesting. At least four Little Ringed Plovers and a Green Sandpiper were indeed in residence along with Lapwings, and Pied Wagtails, while a Little Grebe trilled from a nearby pool. 

One of the Little Ringed Plovers (they weren't close)

It has a number of things going for it. No juncus, no obvious way dog-walkers could get to it, and a nice muddy edge. On the other hand the ditch which would keep the dog-walkers off, also barred me from getting close. I had to resort to looking through bushes, which could be problematic when the leaves start to grow.

Nevertheless this could be the new Morton Bagot, and it's even closer to my house than the old one.

Neither Gary nor I knew a name for it, so we agreed I could christen it Mappleborough Green Flash. It is, as Gary tweeted, one to watch.


No comments:

Post a Comment