Friday 3 June 2022

Friday June 3 - Tanworth-in-Arden

 This morning the roll of the dice told me to return to Tanworth-in-Arden, an area I had visited in the winter. A sunny morning with a very light north-easterly breeze. Ideal for mooching. 

I parked in the village centre, Union Jack bunting everywhere. My route took me out into the surrounding countryside, and I logged most of the expected species. A nesting Whitethroat came to tell me I was too close to its young, probably close to fledging.

Whitethroat

A singing Willow Warbler was a surprise find, and a distantly circling Red Kite probably less unexpected.

I was enjoying the morning, and as it's early June had no further expectations. So when I noticed a grey blob on the roof of a farm building I casually logged it as a Dunnock and moved on. 

The blob

Fortunately for me, I then caught a snatch of odd song. Redstart? It sang again, and I realised I needed a closer look at the blob. Sure enough it was a singing male (immature male unfortunately) Black Redstart.

Oh Yes !

After taking a few shots I tried moving to the other side of the building hoping to get a proper view of its tail. Unfortunately the bird had disappeared, and stopped singing, by the time I was in position. 

I decided to move on. 

Now I'm sorry to say I'm reluctant to give a more accurate location. A singing male in June in potential breeding habitat, even a first-summer bird, could be breeding. It takes the gloss off the find a bit, but it is nevertheless #LocalBigYear tick number 124.


No comments:

Post a Comment