Tuesday 14 June 2022

Tuesday June 14 - plugging the gap

During the course of the last year or so my research into "the birds of around here" has produced a surprising anomaly. There is no recorded breeding record of Lesser Black-backed Gull in Redditch, despite there being plenty to see every summer. Surely they are breeding. 

This morning I set out to wander around the huge Moons Moat industrial estate. An obvious problem was that the warehouses were high, while I was stuck at ground level. Initially I found several pairs calling and could quite easily believe that this meant they were nesting, but I wanted proof.

Eventually I scanned a series of roofs which were more easily visible and got what I wanted. A single Lesser Black-backed Gull on a nest.

Bingo !

Having achieved my objective, the remainder of the morning was spent adding the typical range of common species you'd expect to find in a town. The highlight was finding some recently fledged Goldcrests near the MacDonalds traffic island. 

Recently fledged Goldcrest

There were a few scruffy areas around the factories, while the typical woodland edge which borders roads in much of Redditch was productive for Tits, Wrens, Blackbirds, and Blackcaps. 

A pair of Herring Gulls was also present, but there was no evidence that they were nesting. I suspect it's only a matter of time though.

Not too many butterflies appeared, but I did manage to see Green-veined White, Small Tortoiseshell, and Speckled Wood.

Obviously, wandering around an industrial estate in Redditch isn't everyone's idea of a good day out, and no doubt this is the only reason that large Gulls have not previously been proved breeding here.

I prefer birding in the countryside, but to cover the Circle properly I do need occasional days in urban areas and as today proved, there are discoveries to be made.

No comments:

Post a Comment