Tuesday 7 June 2022

Tuesday June 7 - back on the patch

 I was very tempted to resume my wandering this morning, but as circumstances conspired to prevent me from doing any birding at all over the weekend I felt the patch needed a look.

As far as birds went it turned out to be just a case of confirming a few of the regulars to be breeding. The most noteworthy event being the fact that the Lapwing chick against all the odds is very close to fledging.

No longer a chick, with proud parent in attendance

Fortunately, being a largely sunny and warm morning, insects were well able to take the strain. I am spoilt for choice regarding what to show. New butterflies for the year were Large Skipper and Meadow Brown. New dragonflies were Ruddy Darter, Broad-bodied Chaser, and Emperor. While day-flying moths new for the year were Timothy Tortrix, Straw Dot, Cinnabar, and Yellow Shell.

Large Skipper

Ruddy Darter

Yellow Shell

Numerous other insects vied for my attention. My favourite was a Yellow-banded Sawfly which was not something I can remember having seen before....although I might have.

Yellow-banded Sawfly

Also impressive was the tens (maybe over a hundred) of Azure Damselflies, most getting on with the important business of procreation.

Azure Damselflies

I looked closely at many of them, but could not find a single Common Blue Damselfly. 

I'm currently a little way into a new book, Rebirding by Benedict MacDonald. The early chapters provide a thought-provoking catalogue of the wonders on offer to our forefathers, highlighting how UK wildlife today is a pale shadow of what it once was.

I'd like to think that initiatives like Heart of England Forest and the Knepp Project in Sussex point the way to a brighter future. It's the kind of book which should be compulsory reading for our politicians. Highly recommended (and I haven't even got to the upbeat bit yet).

No comments:

Post a Comment