Friday 9 September 2022

Friday September 9 - The Earlswood Osprey

I had always intended to go birding to Earlswood today, but obviously it turned out to be against the backdrop of the sad news of the Queen's passing, may she rest in peace.

I walked around all three lakes, and for most of the time it looked likely to be a quiet one. Terry's Pool and Engine Pool produced little better than about half a dozen Chiffchaffs, and a couple of Teal.

Windmill Pool turned out to be a different story altogether. I noticed a Common Sandpiper as it took flight, and a number of Shovelers and Teal among the Amphibious Bistort. At the south end of the pool I heard an odd large gull call, and noticed some ducks cocking their heads to look up. I followed their gaze and spotted an Osprey high in the sky. I scrabbled for my camera and managed one shot before it drifted south to become obscured from view by trees.

Osprey (cropped image)

In my original view I had seen its largely white underparts, but the photo barely picks that up. It does at least convey its long-winged, shortish-tailed look, with classic Osprey-shaped kink at the carpal joint. My first for Earlswood obviously, and a year-tick I had hoped I might get (but without any expectation). 

Shortly afterwards I added a juvenile Hobby to the day list, and then watched two blokes walking down the shore scattering all the birds which had been hiding there. This was annoying, but did give me the chance to count eight Teal, and five Shovelers as they headed for a quieter area. I also heard what sounded like a Green Sandpiper but wasn't able to see it, so it remains unconfirmed.

A quick note about moths. I was supposed to go to Rough Hill Wood on a moth night led by David Brown on Monday night, but I pulled out when the weather forecast suggested I would get drenched. The following evening I tried to get my moth fix by trapping in the garden. This produced the frustrating sight of a Red/Crimson Underwing ag as it flew over the garden fence and disappeared in the direction of the apple tree. I rushed after it, but had no further view. 

The following morning I got up hoping to find that I had caught it, but the 52 moths captured included nothing of note. Not even a year tick. The only noteworthy moths were six Beet Moths, a species which has gone from non-existent to common in the Midlands in the course of this year.

Beet Moth Scrobipalpa ocellatella

It is just amazing how quickly insects can colonise new areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment