Tuesday 6 September 2022

Tuesday September 6 - What you could have seen.

 I slightly dread going back to the patch the day after the BIG day. You just know you're going to see something you missed. So I didn't. But this morning I was tempted back to Morton Bagot by the second night of heavy rain, ignoring that feeling that anything I see might have been around on Saturday.

The workmen are still here, but it looks like they might be winding up. I reached the gate above the pool/scrape field and found I could hear a Tree Pipit. I scanned in vain, unsure whether it had been in flight or in a hedge. Some Swallows flew over as I heard it call again. All I got onto was the Swallows. Then a third call, but this time distant. It must have flown off. This was not only a bird we didn't see on Saturday, its also a year tick, so it was rather annoying not to actually see it.

I headed away from the noisy bulldozer and discovered a hedge full of birds, but nothing better than about six Reed buntings, two male Blackcaps, a Whitethroat, a Bullfinch and several Robins. Moving on to the flash field I added two more "not seen on Saturday" birds, a Grey Wagtail, and a Mistle Thrush.

The flash itself contained the usual selection, the only positive being an increase in visible Snipe to 15. I chose to amble back, and eventually scoped three Whinchats and a Stonechat on bushes sticking above the horizon towards Stapenhill Wood. It is quite possible there were more there, but I had mentally called it a day.

That's another thing about the day after the BIG day, it comes with a large slice of can't be bothered.

Migrant Hawker

I very nearly took no photos, but a Migrant Hawker posed nicely for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment