Sunday 18 September 2022

Sunday September 18 - A change of scene

 This morning I decided to break the habit of visiting Morton Bagot every Sunday, and try somewhere else. Rather unimaginatively my choice was Earlswood. A few early morning Whatsap posts informed me of an adult Yellow-legged Gull and a Common Sandpiper, neither of which I was to see.

The cool weather had raised the number of hirundines over the lakes and I counted/estimated 160 Swallows, 90 House Martins, and seven Sand Martins from the chilly vantage point that is the causeway. 

The main highlights were a couple of chats with birders I rarely see; namely John Chidwick and Matt Griffiths. I also walked right around Windmill Pool seeing two Ravens and not much else, before locating a very young Little Grebe on Engine Pool.

Little Grebe - juv

The morning seemed likely to end with a Sparrowhawk chasing the hirundines over Engine Pool, but my phone intervened. 

A Pink-footed Goose had turned up (probably relocating from Upper Bittell) at Tardebigge Reservoir. Sensing a tick I made an about-turn and set off.

As twitches go, it proved pretty straightforward. A quick walk down the towpath and I found the reservoir unexpectedly low and containing at least 178 geese. The 179th was the Pink-footed Goose. It appeared to be a juvenile, and at one point was calling anxiously. Definitely of wild stock, I decided.

Pink-footed Goose

While I was there, Steve Whitehouse turned up and added it to his Worcestershire year-list. Steve had heard a Green Sandpiper, and we both spotted a Shoveler. So despite plenty of gravel (I hesitate to use the word mud) waders remained off the menu.

However, it looks worth a few more visits.


No comments:

Post a Comment