Friday 20 January 2023

Friday January 20 - The Arrow Valley

 This morning I started off at Arrow Valley Lake, which was partially frozen. It pretty much the usual suspects, with three Goosanders, three Shovelers, a Great Crested Grebe, and a Little Egret the most noteworthy.

Goosanders

Shoveler

Having circumnavigated the lake I then set off northwards along the the river, breaking new ground with every step. 

One or two Grey Wagtails were not unexpected, and neither were the two or three Little Egrets which were feeding on the river's edge. The Arrow is no longer a stream, and can justifiably be described as a river by the time it reaches Arrow Valley Country Park, about a kilometre north of the lake. Having heard one along the river by the lake, I was pleased to find a very obliging Kingfisher, a male, just asking to be photographed.

Male Kingfisher

The all-black bill proved it was a male, and different from the female I had seen on Tuesday. 

Speaking of Tuesday, I met Adey who I last saw searching for Marsh Tits in Pitcher Oak Wood last winter. We got talking, comparing notes, and he mentioned having heard a Water Rail recently. It turned out to have been in exactly the place I had heard a "probable Water Rail" squeal coming from the river Arrow earlier in the week. Adey reckoned the recent frozen weather had forced it onto the river. Good enough for a retro-tick I decided.

Robin

The Robins around here are obviously used to people feeding them, and on two occasions came and fixed me with a steely stare. Unfortunately I had nothing in my pocket but my camera, probably not the outcome they were hoping for.

No comments:

Post a Comment