Friday 6 January 2023

Friday January 6

Since my last post I've added just one new bird for the year, a female Blackcap in our garden. 

Tony has been doing a bit of ringing at Netherstead, targeting the top pool where all the Pied Wagtails had roosted. The morning he did it produced instead an excellent tally of eight Reed Buntings caught. He also saw a Grey Wagtail which remains stubbornly off my list for the year.

Female Reed Bunting - per T Kelly

Today I decided to stick to my guns and potter around in the next section of the River Arrow, just east of Alvechurch. Things started well when I had an excellent view of a Kingfisher, and was then invited by a friendly chap, Joe, to explore his garden and woodland where I'd just seen it. In a perfect world this would have led to the discovery of something unusual, but I'm afraid it did not. 

It's always nice to talk wildlife to people when you are out birding, and today was most notable for the number of friendly folk who stopped to chat.

The River Arrow at Alvechurch

Just south of where I took this photo lies the Alvechurch Sewage Treatment Works. Numerous Black-headed Gulls were commuting between it and Bittell Reservoirs five miles to the north. I've checked the map, and I can't see any way of getting close to it on public roads or footpaths.

I'm going to need a friendly sewerage worker!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Richard, I did try getting to Alvechurch SW many, many years ago. My best, although unsuccessful, attempt was to walk along the river from the point where it passes under the main road just south of Alvechurch Vehicle Repairs. Too much vegetation to get through. Might be worth a try?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too have had a look at the STW. That vegetation is unfortunately extremely dense. The best bet may be to ‘sneak’ across the field behind the STW and scan / listen from the north-western fence line.

      Delete
    2. Thanks guys. I will give both approaches a shot next week. If I get a Chiffchaff out of it I'll be happy.

      Delete