Thursday 12 January 2023

Thursday January 12 - Jurassic birding

 The big news this week concerns a Hen Harrier or two filmed near Morton Bagot, but not recently. 

The exciting discovery dates back to the winter of 1992/93 when film-maker Jeremy was active locally. The footage is fantastic and can be viewed here. It covers the period October 19 1992 to March 15 1993. The sightings began at Badbury Hill, a kilometre east of Morton Bagot, and resume at Lower Spernall and Middle Spernall, ending with the last sightings at Spernall Park. 

Exactly how many birds were involved is uncertain. All the footage is of female Hen Harrier(s), but Jeremy did also see (but not film) a male over nearby Stoopers Wood. What all this land has in common is that back then, in the Jurassic, it was farmland managed for shooting. No doubt Finches and Buntings abounded in the Quinoa planted with Pheasants in mind, and the profusion of small birds would have tempted the Hen Harriers to stick around. Nowadays it is all owned by Heart of England Forest, so its fantastic in the spring and summer for biodiversity, but maybe not quite as good in the winter. 

Many thanks to Jeremy for sending me the footage.

I wish we could have the best of both worlds, plenty of forest and also land for the Quinoa and other Pheasant-cover, but without releasing any Pheasants. Perhaps there would be more finches etc in the winter to interest birders (and Hen Harriers, Great Grey Shrikes etc) and fewer Foxes and Crows, so more Curlews and Lapwings could have successful breeding seasons. 

Anyway, jumping off my soap box, I resumed my exploration of the Arrow today. I manage to scramble my way to Alvechurch STW, approaching from the north. I needn't have bothered. It was hopeless. But half way back to the car was something which made it all worthwhile. I was counting Black-headed Gulls flying south and had just got past 150 when I noticed a goose in their wake. Assuming a Greylag for the day-list I dutifully raised my bins and discovered it was actually an Egyptian Goose. I didn't see one at all last year, so a scramble for the camera ensued. By the time I got a shot the bird was heading into the distance, so I got just one barely identifiable image. 

Egyptian Goose

I would contend that if you look very carefully you can just about make out the snow white upperwing coverts. Not my best effort I will admit.

Before the rain resumed, I had time to walk a footpath south-west from Lye Bridge which skirted a hitherto unknown fishery with just enough phragmites to support a couple of wintering Reed Buntings.

Reed Bunting

I also added a couple of Grey Wagtails to the local year list.

No comments:

Post a Comment