Friday 16 August 2024

Friday August 16 - Morton Bagot

Before I get onto today's birding I should mention that on Wednesday in grey, drizzly conditions I visited Tardebigge Reservoir to see whether it might have a shoreline. As it turned out the reservoir's shore was the same as always, a sort of impacted hard earth which looks useless for waders and supported only Mallard and Canada Geese. The highlight was two Sparrowhawks which flew across the reservoir.

This has some relevance to my visit to Morton Bagot today, this time in fine sunny weather. As I was chatting to the stockman I noticed a flock of Lapwings had got up from the distant flash field. I started counting them, but then noticed there was a large raptor circling high above them. My companion realised that he had lost my attention as I said I was sure it was a Goshawk. He remained convinced it was a Buzzard as I hurriedly unpacked my scope and tripod, and to be fair it was certainly Buzzard sized.

In the scope I confirmed my suspicion that it was a Goshawk, but was disappointed that it kept its distance as it circled vaguely towards Studley. I did then take a few record shots, but I'm not proud of them. My usual blurred silhouetted distant raptor shots.


Looking at the above shot afterwards I was amused to see what appears to be a Swift in the background, although I didn't actually "see" it while I was there. The Gos was brownish, so probably an immature and it was big, so probably a female.

It's lucky I saw this bird because there wasn't much else on offer. Just the usual Red Kite, Little Egret, Green Sandpipers (three), Snipe (two) and Teal (seven). 


The good news, I guess, is that the nearest flash once again contains water....but no muddy edge. There's no pleasing some people.

I saw most of the expected warblers including two slightly less expected Willow Warblers, evidence that birds are now most definitely moving.


No comments:

Post a Comment