Tuesday 20 August 2024

Tuesday August 20 - Morton Bagot

 This was probably not the best morning to choose to revisit the patch. Just as I arrived the heavens opened and I had to sit out the first of what turned out to be a series of heavy showers. In between the deluges I made it to the nearest flash, logging a creditable count of three Willow Warblers along with larger numbers of Chiffchaffs, a Sedge Warbler, a Lesser Whitethroat, and small numbers of Whitethroats. All pretty standard fare at the back end of August, but welcome nonetheless. A calling Skylark alerted me to an approaching Peregrine which flew right overhead before disappearing over the flash field.

Once I'd got myself settled in the usual spot overlooking the nearest flash, it again started to bucket down. I was trying to be encouraged. Just the weather to drop down a migrant wader. But that doesn't seem to happen these days. In the end I had to settle for a further increase to 15 Teal, 20 Lapwings, a Little Egret, three or four Green Sandpipers and a single Snipe.


By the time it stopped I was thoroughly bedraggled and cold. I still tried wandering back through the long grass in the hope of flushing a Tree Pipit or finding some Chats, but all I managed to see was the local Goldfinch flock which had risen to, I thought, about a hundred birds. This was where the camera came in useful. I waited for the flock to rise out of the thistle heads and took a shot. Back home I counted just over a hundred, but as I'm sure several were out of frame I have raised my estimate to 120, and even that may be on the conservative side.


Most of the Goldfinch flock

Annoyingly the sun came out as I reached my car, but my time was up. It was still interesting to note how the onset of sunny weather encouraged previously silent Woodpigeons to start cooing, and Whitethroats and Reed Buntings to appear. 

I'll try and pick a better day next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment