Friday 2 August 2024

Friday August 2 - Morton Bagot

 On the plus side, it's now August. This morning's visit to Morton Bagot followed the same script as just about every other visit for the last two months. It's better than sitting in an office all day.

There were a few little victories. The oddest discovery was a fly-over Meadow Pipit which called several times to confirm its identity. I don't think I've ever seen an autumn passage Meadow Pipit here before the very end of August.

Also noteworthy were a couple of juvenile Little Egrets. The ones seen previously this summer have been adults.

The absence of head plumes and slightly olive legs confirm them as juveniles

The water in the nearest flash pool is continuing to evaporate. An influx of 35 Black-headed Gulls was the most obvious result, but it also meant a sharp drop in Green Sandpiper numbers, down to four.


I suspect it will take a bit of bad weather to shake things up.

On the walk down the footpath from the road I photographed a grass moth which I assumed would be the very common A tristella, but on reviewing my photograph I think it may be Pale-streaked Grass-moth Agriphila selasella, which I am less familiar with and would be a site tick if it stands up to scrutiny when I submit it to the recorder.

Pale-streaked Grass-moth Agriphila selasella


No comments:

Post a Comment