Maybe it was the later start (09:20), but the birding was rather less exciting than on my last visit. I did manage to see a Lesser Whitethroat among the numerous Common Whitethroats but the Whinchats and Redstart seemed to have gone.
The nearest flash remains dry, so it was left to a combination of the furthest flash and the Kingfisher Pool to supply the only waders, five Green Sandpipers and the usual Little Egret.
Fortunately there was enough interest among the insects to make it worth banging out a post. One species that is common at Morton Bagot is the Emperor dragonfly. Seeing them is quite easy, but they rarely settle so I don't get to photograph many. Today my luck was in.
Butterflies too were on the wing in reasonable diversity (although I wouldn't have said the numbers were anything special). On Sunday I had seen my first Clouded Yellow here and attempted a shot of it. Today I saw another one, and this time it perched in a place where it was easy to see well.
This is certainly the year to connect with one.
No comments:
Post a Comment